Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Music Video of the Week

I said I'd try it out last week in my trailers post, so here goes. I'm not sure if it'll stick since, in all honesty, I don't really see that many music videos. However, it's often enough that one comes along and strikes my fancy for me to give this thing a shot.

"Little Miss Jack" - The Growlers



A friend showed this to me a while back and there was never really any question that this was going to be my first "MV of the Week". The Growlers are a band from Long Beach, Ca and I must say they've really got my attention. Their lead possesses a strangeness and a sound that I don't think I've seen/heard anywhere else. They also seem to be having a lot of fun with their peculiar brand of rock, a sense of fun that you don't really see in bands today who are too interested in being douchey or whiny or faux-punk. The Growlers seem to be the genuine article, what Devendra Banhart called a "true rock band".

As for this particular video, it's something I keep coming back to because it has this twisted-fun story to it. Unfortunately, I'm also forced into repeated viewings because it's the only place I can hear this catchy little tune. For some reason, this doesn't appear on any of their albums and seems to have been written solely for this video.

Their 2nd album, "Hot Tropics", came out earlier this year and is very good once you get into it. They have also made numerous videos for songs on that album.

PS. Recommendations are always welcome for this section.

No comments: