Saturday, March 20, 2010

Most Anticipated Films of 2010 - KICK-ASS

More buzz coming out of SXSW was for Matthew Vaughn's KICK-ASS, which currently holds a 100% on Rottentomatoes with 11 reviews. I hope this strong start carries the film to box-office success because I believe it faces an uphill battle, being an R-rated film featuring kid-superheroes. I can see how the trailers might give off a silly vibe, but reading why it's received a Restricted rating makes a different impression:
"Rated R for strong brutal violence throughout, pervasive language, sexual content, nudity and some drug use - some involving children." This is going to be brutal superhero/vigilante film, not kiddy fare.

I good reason this film appeals to me is because it seems to somewhat close the disparity between what's possible in the film and graphic novel mediums. Films are my favorite entertainment medium, but they seem to take a few less creative chances than graphic novels, in which almost anything is possible. The type of material in KICK-ASS comes standard in good comics these days, but it would be incredibly risky and risque in a movie. Early reviews seem to suggest that the film is actually quite shocking, but also quite good.

I'm looking forward to judging for myself.

KICK-ASS gets a wide release on April 16th.

No comments: