Saturday, May 22, 2010

This Week in Movie News (Nerd News)

Certainly some interesting headlines coming out of the past week:

James Franco likely for lead role in RISE OF THE APES -

Franco was at Cannes this past week promoting his new film HOWL, in which he plays beat poet Allen Ginsberg. The young actor's credits have been all over the spectrum, which is a refreshing thing to see out of such a talent. He's appeared on television (lately "General Hospital" and "30 Rock"), in comedies (PINEAPPLE EXPRESS, DATE NIGHT), and in big-budget fare (the SPIDER-MAN trilogy). It appears as though Franco has picked his next project in the latter category - RISE OF THE APES. It seems as though every time I do one of these "weekly news" posts, I end up with something about this film. When I heard about this, I wondered what type of role Franco's would be, crossing my fingers that he wouldn't appear as some CG ape. My fears dissipated when I learned that Franco would be playing one of the human scientists who are creating the genetically altered apes. Then I thought again about how this movie still sound stupid, but I'm open to having my expectations exceeded. Franco's involvement improves my opinion of this production from "potential disaster" to "maybe not the worst thing in the world".

Look for Franco later in 2010 when he stars, practically by himself, in Danny Boyle's follow-up to the Oscar winning SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, 127 HOURS, the true story of mountain climber Aron Ralston who had to amputate his lower right arm with a dull knife to escape certain death.

Jemaine Clement to play villain in MEN IN BLACK 3(D)-

This news had me chuckling a bit. I was never a big fan of the MIB films, but they are kind of fun. I found the news of a second sequel a bit surprising considering it will have been nearly ten years since MIB 2 when this film is released. But Will Smith is still incredibly bankable and studios aren't missing any opportunities to round out trilogies with "3....D!". Side note: when did this becomes an okay thing to do? Sure, have your 3D films, but don't make it part of the official title, that's so cheesy. Have we completely forgotten JAWS 3-D!? Anyway, joining Smith and Lee Jones in the film will be Josh Brolin. I can imagine hilarity ensuing when all three of these macho men struggle to defeat Clement, who will be playing a character called Yaz (hilariously fitting for some reason). I could have probably waited for this to come out on DVD, but now I might just fork over the admission price (which by 2012 should only be $15). Good for Jemaine, he sure seems to be getting a lot of work. I was always partial to Bret (Brit) though, what's he up to?

MACHETE trailer just another fake -

Apparently, the MACHETE trailer that came out a couple weeks back was just a fake trailer made by Robert Rodriguez for Cinco de Mayo and political commentary. It was not an actual trailer for the film, but instead pieced together from the original GRINDHOUSE trailer and footage from the new film. I don't know how many people were hip to this. I'll admit, I was fooled. I guess the preview was a bit too topical to be real, but that's what had me excited. I'm sure the real MACHETE will be fun, but I can't help but imagine that this might have been a more exciting alternative.

See him talk about it here

David Fincher wants to go 2000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA -

Huh? I can imagine that being the majority response. That's right, Fincher, director of FIGHT CLUB, SEVEN, and ZODIAC, has reportedly approached Disney about directing a 2000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA film. Disney had previously lined up McG to helm a similar project, but dropped it. It seems as though Fincher's interest has reinvigorated the property. All I can say is: it probably won't happen. Fincher always lines up a dozen projects to do and almost all of them fall by the wayside (remember HEAVY METAL and TORSO?). If it does get made, it'll certainly be interesting to see how it turns out. More news on this as it arrives.

A couple final notes (Me talkin' shit)-

There's been a lot of news about potential WIZARD OF OZ spin-offs and sequels and what-nots being lined up. Just stop it. I don't want to see any of these made. What's the point? I don't really care about protecting the original film's legacy or anything like that, I just think it's a stupid idea. Move on. Nothing like this will ever be successful. Mark my words.

Megan Fox apparently dropped out of TRANSFORMERS 3. I don't know what I dislike more, Fox or TRANSFORMERS. Their parting ways will make each of them slightly better, but still not anything I'd endorse. Fox is toxic and will hopefully fall by the wayside in the near future. Transformers is idiotic, let's just get it over with.

No comments: