Saturday, August 14, 2010

10 Shows I'm Looking Forward to This Fall

Over the past few years I've progressively become more and more of a television person. I never really cared for it all that much because I only had about a half dozen channels growing up and I didn't get a chance to see the medium at its best. The more premiere programming I've been exposed to, the more interested I've become. I also speculate, for numerous reasons, that television is just getting better. Lots of people hypothesize that TV is struggling to stay relevant in the face of the internet and new media options. If this is indeed true, then I believe it's hanging in there just fine.

"The Venture Brothers" - Adult Swim

This show has been on a tear since it's first season. Not only is it ridiculously funny, but the storyline is also as interesting as it is intricate. The more you watch, the more you understand about this strange world that somewhat resembles Johnny Quest or Hanna Barbera. The one issue I have with the show is its peculiar season schedule. Because of the amount of work that goes into the animated show, there are often lengthy lapses between seasons, which only gets its fervent fan base (myself included) more worked up. I feel like there were years between both the 1st and 2nd seasons and the 2nd and 3rd (which aired over the course of a summer a few years back). This time around, the creators decided on a lengthy season split into two parts. Season 4.0 aired last fall with 4.5 set for this summer, only that got delayed until September (the 12th to be exact), putting the season's installments a full year apart; a major bummer, but at least the wait is almost over.

Here's a trailer for the upcoming half-season. If you haven't watched the show (and even if you have), you're not going to understand what's going on.



2. I'm also pretty excited for "30 Rock". It's not as good as it was a season or two ago (perhaps it peaked a bit early), but it's still a solid show, which is more than I can say about its lead-in "The Office". Alec Baldwin is still spot-on as is Tina Fey. I know I can count on this show for a lot laughs every Thursday. "30 Rock" will return on September 23rd and on October 14th it will be performed live.

No comments: