Tuesday, June 29, 2010

HARRY POTTER 7 Trailer

Well, they certainly went big this time. Being the nerd that I am, I always await the next HARRY POTTER trailer with a bit of excitement. Almost every year around this time there's a teaser for the next installment, which doesn't offer a whole lot, but still manages to create a fair amount of buzz. This year, there is no teaser (well, there have been a couple sneak peaks, but nothing that's garnered much attention), just a full-blown trailer previewing both installments of HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS.



In my humble opinion, this was very smart advertising. PART 1 comes out in November, so they could have just previewed that and left the PART 2 stuff for a later date, but this way they are billing the film as a two-parter. This way, anticipation for PART 2 is already getting built up pretty high.

I know the purpose of a trailer is to make a film look good, but I can't help but believe that this will be something special. I have a love/hate relationship with the HP series in general and that relationship carries over to director David Yates as well. I really enjoyed HARRY POTTER 5, but I didn't care for 6. I just don't know what they were trying to do with that film. It was too much teen drama and kookiness for being at this stage of the series. I don't think that will be a problem with these last two films. Next July, the HARRY POTTER series will end forever, the action and drama we've all anticipated has to be there if they want to end things off on the right foot.

I was seriously bummed after reading "The Deathly Hallows" because it didn't deliver to my expectations. Some parts dragged on too long and the serious action felt rushed. Characters' deaths sometimes happened off-page with no sense of tragedy to them and some of the more dramatic moments lacked the weight they deserved. The only thing that kept me from being seriously depressed about the letdown was the fact that the movies would have a chance to get things right. I know things aren't typically done this way as the movies have a way of short-changing their sources, but film is uniquely capable of correcting the flaws of the 7th book. The dramatic weight of the story is now in the hands of Yates and the actors, who will no doubt go big this time around. Even in the trailer, the high-level of action appears to be there. The intensity of Harry and Voldemort's confrontations is also there as well as the drama that the book lacks. I'm really looking forward to these films because I believe they can erase my bitter feelings towards the book's conclusion, thus changing my outlook on the series as a whole.

No comments: