Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Nerd News

I wasn't around this weekend, so I have some belated nerd news:

1. Marvel plans on using short films to introduce side characters -

This is an incredibly intelligent plan. There are so many interesting and important characters that will likely be relegated to the background for the major Marvel films coming out in the next couple years. Mentioned specifically in this rumor are Black Panther, Luke Cage and Dr. Strange. I would even settle for animated short films to introduce characters, but live-action shorts would be unique and probably more effective. Look for more news on this in the near future.

2. Adam McKay likely as THE BOYS director -

This has been rumored for some time, but it looks like the ANCHORMAN director is close to sealing the deal and taking on this graphic novel property. The Garth Ennis title is about a covert squad known informally as "The Boys" who are charged with monitoring and handling super-powered human beings. It's like if there were superhumans in the real world. Likely, they would all have huge egos and be intensely difficult, unlike the often-benevolent superheroes of typical comic fare. McKay is a talented comedic director and he seems interested in the position, so I'm all for this. I'd be interested to see what he could do with an action-packed graphic novel adaptation. THE BOYS will likely be released some time next year.

3. DEADPOOL has been offered to Robert Rodriguez -

The director's seat for the Marvel Comics character's solo film is currently empty, but Rodriguez is an early candidate. He certainly has the talent to pull it off, but it seems that he would rather make films from the comfort of his Texas greenscreen studio, so I'm not sure he'd want to venture out and make this film, which would likely require a fair amount of location shooting. Rodriquez also seems to be partial to directing films that he had a hand in developing and he seems to already have a lot of potential projects on his plate. I'd be surprised if he took the job, but i guess he didn't turn Fox down outright. So we will just have to wait and see.

4. Sam Raimi front-runner to direct OZ, THE GREAT AND POWERFUL -

This film will follow the origins of the Wizard of Oz character, who had his beginnings as a circus performer. Robert Downey Jr. is expected to play the lead. Downey and Raimi seems like a winning combination, but, as I've said before, I just don't care for all these "Oz" projects that are currently in development. They all just seem unnecessary. THE WIZARD OF OZ isn't a classic because of it's story is anything special. Garland and the history of the production are what's most remembered about OZ. Also, I don't want anyone to bring up RETURN TO OZ and how they want this film to be more like that film in tone. Go back and watch RETURN TO OZ. It's not the dark film you remember, it's just boring and cheap.

5. BLOOD OF THE INNOCENT!?

Okay, so I was reading something on RT about future classic monster themed films and the blurp mentioned that Breck Eisner (The Crazies) is expected to direct BLOOD OF THE INNOCENT before moving on to the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake. "Blood of the Innocent" is a 1985 comic that pits Jack the Ripper against Dracula. That's right, you read that correctly. Jack the Ripper vs. Dracula. Isn't that insane? This might seem like a bad idea to most, but I find it too delightfully mad. If this actually gets made, I'll be ecstatic.

6. Guillermo Del Toro to announce his next project at Comic-Con -

Since leaving THE HOBBIT, the subject of Guillermo Del Toro's next project has caused much speculation. There was some brief talk about a new VAN HELSING project that he might be involved in, but further investigation into that matter has proved it to be unlikely. There are a lot of projects that are high on Del Toro's list, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something no one has ever heard of. The most likely candidates, however, are an adaptation of Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness", FRANKENSTEIN and a third HELLBOY film. Comic-Con will take place at the end of July, so we only have to wait a month. Whatever it ends up being, I'm sure it will be exciting.

7. Nerd Trailers -

LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS:



I'm all for a Zach Snyder directed film about warrior owls, but they really need to ditch that 30 Seconds to Mars song in the trailer if they want me to think this isn't going to be lame.

SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD:



I would have very little faith in this film if it wasn't for Edgar Wright (HOT FUZZ) directing. It just looks very odd and a little too "scene" for me, but I might be able to get into it.

NARNICLES 3:



I'm not sure I'm that into this. It just doesn't seem very exciting to me. So does the film mostly take place on a boat? This seems less appealing than the last film (which I liked), which didn't exactly rake in a lot of money. If this film performs poorly, it might be the death-rattle for the Narnia series, there was enough trouble getting this film made.

THE GREEN HORNET:



I'm pretty jazzed about this. THE GREEN HORNET looks like it will be a lot of fun and with Gondry in the director's chair, I have no doubt it'll be unique. Also, when I looked at the cast list today I found a couple surprises: Edward Furlong and Edward James Olmos! Too bad this film won't hit theaters until early next year.

No comments: